[Jacob-list] Question......

Cheryl Terrano paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Fri Sep 17 10:12:07 EDT 2010

Well said, Shannon....I second that!

I feel there is far too much concentration on one or two certain traits in our Jacob world - my opinion, of course. And, while horns and fleece are wonderful aspects of the breed, they are certainly not the only viable traits, as you so graciously pointed out. I think a 'balanced' animal in many aspects - one who meets/exceeds the breed standard - is what I look for in Jacobs. Genetic diversity and temperament are two of my "soap box' issues. I firmly believe temperament just as heritable of a trait as any other. A handsome or pretty sheep (from looks alone) with a nasty or aggressive attitude is not something I tolerate on my farm, nor would I knowingly sell it to someone else. Shannon brought up many of those 'invisible' traits I also expect - mothering ability, hardiness, etc.

We kept commercial breed types for our kids 4H and FFA projects early in our Jacob sheep endeavors. We also learned rather quickly how high maintenance they can be. I much prefer our Jacobs to the other breeders I have worked with, even in small numbers. This topic has crossed the list on many occasions, with many comments from shepherds across the US and across the pond. The diverse replies are always interesting!

Cheryl in WV
http://www.paintedrockfarm.com
http://paintedrockfarm.blogspot.com
Visit the ETSY store: http://www.etsy.com/shop/paintedrockfarm

God longs to bring us to the place where we ache so much with His heart that to do nothing is simply no longer an option. (MATT REDMAN, The Unquenchable Worshipper)

We will live as strangers and pilgrims on this earth, with sacrifice, commitment, tears and fasting, and touch the lost world with our lifestyle and commitment. (KP YOHANNAN, Founder, GOSPEL FOR ASIA)

WHEN EVERYTHING THAT CAN BE SHAKEN IS SHAKEN, THE ANCHOR THAT HOLDS IS THE WISDOM OF THE CROSS. (Jason Upton, Key of David Ministries, from the CD 1200 ft below sea level).

If you want to see God's power at work, you must get out of the church and into the world. Watch the extravagant lengths which God will go to reveal Himself to people who don't know Him. Then you will learn how truly awesome our God is. (Author Unknown)