[Jacob-list] Beards / Manes is this a prmitive thing or a hairthing????

Carl Fosbrink fourhornfarm at verizon.net
Thu Sep 16 15:25:44 EDT 2010

If I can find a photo of my original ram, who had a mane, I will post it. His mane did not look anything like the mane on a hair or Painted Desert sheep. His mane was on the top and sides of his neck, not the underside of it, and it was long black hairs that were longer than the wool on his neck. It was not thick like a hair sheep mane either. It did not carry into the wool on his body either. In my opinion it was a primitive characteristic and not an indication that he had any hair sheep in his background. If I remember correctly Laurie Foster from OK had a ram named Cocklebur Wahoo that she said had a mane. Edd Bissell spent several years developing a hair sheep with four horns. He sold them to Jeff Hatch when he sold the farm. I will try to send a photo of one of these 4H hair sheep as I'm sure I have a photo of one of them that Edd gave me. Feel free to jump in here with comments Edd.