[Jacob-list] Beards / Manes is this a prmitive thing or a hair thing????

Jaci Siehl sugarpinejacobs at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 16 13:16:16 EDT 2010

During a sheep breed search years ago I came across Painted Desert Sheep.  these are a hybred hair sheep originating in Texas.  Their ancestry includes some fine wool and hair breeds - they also threw in some Jacob for horns.  Some of these rams have beautiful manes. I've also read that many of the hair sheep grow manes.   So did the mane come from the hair side of the family or from the primitive wool side?

Now I wonder how far kemp fiber or coarse wool is from actually being hair?  Sounds like a question for one of you technical guys.....anyone feel like 'splaining to me?

http://www.painteddesertsheepsociety.com/

Jaci Siehl
Sugarpine Jacobs
530-538-9474