[Jacob-list] coating sheep

Heather Hettick hettick.1 at osu.edu
Tue Sep 14 13:08:05 EDT 2010

Marie,

I have a few smaller sized coats and have used them on lambs or small
yearlings mostly - because lambs often tend to get dirtier and they have
nicer fleeces. I can't say I like how the coats make the fleece sort of not
in lock formation. I'm not sure how to describe it. I also have not
noticed that much difference between coated and carefully monitored uncoated
sheep. That said, I have some really messy sheep who have been helped by
coating (they like to eat the stuff the other sheep drop under the feeder)
but most of mine are pretty good at staying pretty tidy if I'm careful at
feeding. I feed on the ground a bit too as my feeder isn't big enough for
all.

Heather Hettick
Moonstruck Farm
Creston, OH
www.moonstruckfarm.wordpress.com

"Hi,

Do any breeders jacket their Jacob sheep? It seems like the websites I look
at don't tend to jacket their sheep. Is there a reason why not?

Thanks!

Margie
in Illinois"