[Jacob-list] foot stomping

gotothewhip at aol.com gotothewhip at aol.com
Wed Oct 6 13:22:53 EDT 2010

All breeding animals are ESPECIALLY unpredictable during this time of year.... Our rams are not coddled or babied.. They too get an occasional scratch from me on the other side of the fence, but I too carry a rididng crop and keep a close eye on them at all times.

A great example of the effect of breeding season and testosterone is my Elk Bull "Theo" We have 2 Domestic Elk ranches... Theo is our 8yo breeding bull. He was bottle raised. He is WONDERFUL and trustworthy 9 months of the year. But for 3 months (and a few weeks before and after as a buffer) he is untouched. He goes from being a cupcake to a jerk.. and a deadly Jerk. Now.. Would I undo all of the socialization that was done (prior owner) to him that caused him to be unafraid.. NO WAY.. he is pretty remarkable to be around, and it is a special treat to have a bull that is so nice.. But I am also Hyper aware of what he can do. We cut his antlers each July .. For saftey of all involved, and this time of year, we do not go to the ranch by ourselves (always 2-3 people) and we ALWAYS have a gun. and NOBODY will go into the pasture with Theo until December and the rut is over.

We carry a gun as we realise that if he gets out or takes down a fence, he will have to be shot. That is a consequence of his freindliness. Our other bulls are not tame at all, and a big stick is all that is needed to change their thoughts...... But a stick whouldnt phase Theo.

I guess it is a cost of ownership of a special animal.. a cost he would have to pay for our (humans) actions of taming an animal.

Here is Theo,.... PRE- Rut. and before we cut antler.

Jennifer Tucker
Moose Mtn Ranch
Bennett, CO