[Jacob-list] foot stomping/rams

Lasell J. Bartlett lasell at lasell.org
Tue Oct 5 22:46:45 EDT 2010

On Oct 5, 2010, at 7:35 PM, Linda wrote:

> I don't know what others have found - and would like to hear, but

> I've found that yearling rams are quite easily intimidated. Two

> year old rams aren't quite so easy.

I like to leave quite a bit of fear-of-humans in any intact male farm
animal. Some that have come to us previously handled, I have had to
re-instill that and have drawn on my experiences with pushy horses to
do so. I want a ram to live with the question of when and how quickly
he should be running from me when I show up. And have the dynamic
such that if I allow him to stick around, that really is because I
consciously gave permission, and I maintain the right to change my
mind at any point and send him away.

I do like the idea of simply tying a ram whose been halter trained,
however that does require coming close and handling him.

Lasell J Bartlett
lasell at lasell.org