[Jacob-list] Jacob-list Digest, Vol 77, Issue 5

Heather Hettick hettick.1 at osu.edu
Thu Nov 4 13:32:19 EDT 2010

Kathey,

I do hook them around the neck and often while they are moving. The loop on
my hook would be too wide to do anything to their legs other than
temporarily get in their way, although there is a different type of crook
used for catching legs I think.

I rarely stop them in their tracks, they usually pull me along a bit before
I can stop them, but it slows them down and I can walk my hands up the pole
to catch their head. Then I usually drop the crook, put on a halter or do
whatever I was planning to do with them. Once I did get pulled right into a
pole in the barn, which wasn't much fun.

Ideally, I get them into a stall first to make things a bit easier but there
are some who just seem to know what you are up to and won't go in. When
I've had enough, I often use a horse whip or two to scare them into the
stall. I prefer that to make me bigger as they are lighter weight and can
make scary snapping noises. I've heard that trained dogs can be a big help,
but my sheep aren't dog broke and our dogs are afraid of them and really
aren't herding dogs. I kid my son that he's my sheep dog. He's actually
pretty good!

Heather

Message: 1