[Jacob-list] Ram lamb into ram flock

lgnewsome at comcast.net lgnewsome at comcast.net
Sun May 23 15:12:29 EDT 2010

Hi, I'm getting conflicting advice on how to integrate my 3 month old ram lamb into my ram flock (currently a 2 year old ram, a 1 year old ram, and a 1 year old wether). Some say I can just put him in with them, and they won't bother with him since he is not sexually mature. Someone else said I can mix the ram flock with the 6 ewes and their lambs (4 lambs: 1 ram, 2 wethers, 1 ewe, all 1.5 to 3 months old) and the rams will ignore all the lambs as they will be more interested in the ewes. My plan in this case would be to mix everyone together soon, let them all become aquainted, then separate the rams (and probably the wethers) from the ewes by the end of July to prevent any early breeding. Will this work? I don't want my lambs to be injured, and I've seen how hard rams can fight, even after 3 days in a tiny crowded pen.... Any other ideas?