[Jacob-list] Baking soda overdose?

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Wed May 19 21:37:49 EDT 2010

I'm sure my ram's previous owner had given him baking soda with no issues.
This leads me to believe that maybe he was not in his right mind when he
downed ALL the baking soda. He was probably just stress eating due to
having been shorn by a noob right before he was given the baking soda.

I'm not sure if I'll ever offer him baking soda again, but if I do I will
definitely keep an eye on him to ensure he doesn't over do it.

Johann
============
I'm sure he had a very bad stomach ache, besides the other symptoms.
Apparently, the reaction of straight baking soda and rumen acids can be
strong, maybe somewhat explosive. To dilute the reaction, add some water
and mineral oil. A really good remedy (antacid) for bloating is a mixture
of baking soda, water, and some mineral oil. The mineral oil coats the
rumen lining and prevents damage from the strong reaction of baking soda
and rumen acids. You saw how mineral oil helped the situation with the
baking soda overdose. Good work. Usually when I read about a very sick
animal, the outcome is not good.

Cathy
Moscow, Idaho