[Jacob-list] vaccination

Brenda brenda at brenalanfarm.com
Sat May 8 22:29:51 EDT 2010

My vet said that the immune system doesn't form antibodies as a result to
vaccines until several weeks after birth. Some individuals become immune
sooner to others. I have heard vets disagree on the minimum age where most
animals will develop immunities. Assuming I understood and recall correctly,
my vet had no opposition to vaccinating earlier but didn't believe a
vaccination was reliable protection unless given after 14 weeks. Considering
concerns about vaccinating at all and about the number of vaccinations,
there is room for disagreement on whether shots should be given earlier,
later, both, ??? So it is reasonable to think that some of us will make
different decisions based on procedures like docking or castration,
frequency of injuries, how we feel about other risks, etc. But I think this
is a good example of how working with a vet can give us information and
insights on which to base our own decisions. Personally, I would not want
unvaccinated sheep on my place after their first few weeks of life because I
don't want to risk horrid illnesses or suffering. But the 6 or 8 or 12 or 14
week timeline is much less clear to me. I suspect there is indeed some risk
of tumors, etc at vaccine sites, so continue to weigh early vaccines against
those risks. For those who do not dock or castrate, there is probably less
risk holding off on vaccinating until 12 or 14 weeks. Risk of disease in
baby lambs vs tumors in older breeding stock may lead others to make
different decisions.

Brenda