[Jacob-list] Docking tails and castrations

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Sat May 8 21:44:47 EDT 2010

--Brenda wrote:

>t is probably a good idea to check with your vet re: when to vaccinate

>ambs. I am all in favor of vaccinating, but some evidence suggests that

>ambs do not develop immunities until much later than one month. If I

>nderstand correctly, there is probably no harm in vaccinating earlier, but

> dose should be given around 14 weeks and maybe one later still. It seems

>he evidence is not entirely clear, so asking your area's smartest and most

>cademically up-to-date vet might be a good idea.

I believe that the suggestion of vaccinating at one month of age (or a bit
older, I'm too lazy to look it up) is because there is immunity from the
mother ewe given to the newborn lamb, but that immunity diminishes after
the lamb is one month or so of age. So to continue protection, the shot is
given at one month and then a booster later. I will check with my vet and
see if the schedule has changed.

Cathy
Moscow, Idaho