[Jacob-list] Moorit X Lilac

Dan Carpenter Hobsickle at aol.com
Tue May 4 09:24:21 EDT 2010

The statement "lilac is recessive to not lilac" is correct--at least when
talking about lilac in a specific color sense. (If by lilac one means
"something other than black," then possibly it's still true.)

The traditional lilac (common lilac??? real lilac??? regular lilac???) is
caused by a gene that makes melanocytes clump in the wool. This is similar
to the action of the dilute locus (D) in other mammals, so I am assuming
that it is the D locus in sheep too.

-Dan

PS. for those of you who don't take assertions lying down (and good for
you), I explained by evidence and rational for this dilute locus statement
at the 2009 JSBA AGM. DVDs of the 2009 AGM sessions are available.