[Jacob-list] Moorit X Lilac

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Tue May 4 06:20:19 EDT 2010

The key here is that you have a Lilac carrier Jacob on both sides of the
pedigree in the lilac crossbred lamb. I remember from somewhere that the
black in Black Welsh Mountain comes from crosses to Jacob in days gone by.

To clarify what I posted earlier a little: When we say that "lilac is a
simple recessive to black", we are implying that lilac is only expressed in
absence of a black allele. In a similar way, those of us who are blue eyed
are defective in that we do not have at least one functioning allele to
produce melanin in our irises. In sheep, the hierarchy of dominance one the
black-white gene is probably something like:
Jacob black > white > normal black > silver > moorit .

I was trying to answer where lilac falls in this. The answer seems to be
that it doesn't. Lilac probably works on some other gene, one that modifies
black. In other words, instead of "not black", "lilac" is simple recessive
to "not lilac".

Cool, huh?
Neal Grose