[Jacob-list] docking tails

avillionfarm at avillionfarm.com avillionfarm at avillionfarm.com
Mon May 3 12:55:07 EDT 2010

Two things:

(1) I am surprised at having seriously dirty tails on long-tailed jacob
sheep. We have not docked ours in years and have no problems. Their tails
tend to be hairy not wooly like other breeds that I have seen. Perhaps
taking a look at environmental issues like feeding program, lush pasture,
worm load etc. that might be contributing to this issue would allow the
situation to be made more managable.

(2) As far as banding the tails of adult sheep, please for their sake
don't do it. This will be very painful for adult animals and needs to be
done using appropriate pain relieving methods that are probably only
available from a veterinarian. If you must do it, then it is best to wait
until the weather is cold.

All the best, Elaina