[Jacob-list] Docking tails on adult sheep

Jaci Siehl sugarpinejacobs at yahoo.com
Sun May 2 12:21:15 EDT 2010

I have two ewes with "an experiment gone wrong".  Last year I thought I'd try docking tails one joint longer.  Well, one was 2 joints longer and the other one slipped down about 4 joints.  Both have extremely dirty tails that I don't like and would like to dock them back to the normal length of all my other sheep.

I don't have a vet close by that would surgically dock for me so it would mean driving 60 miles one way, plus the cost at the vet's (not a practical option at this time).

I assume I could just band them again at the correct spot, but I am concerned that this may just make the end die but not fall off AND that it would be very painful for the sheep for a long time.

Third option would be for me to cut the tails myself - but I've only done day-old puppies this way and not sure about sheep.

Any opinions, suggestions, or previous experiences would be welcomed.

Jaci Siehl
Sugarpine Jacobs
530-538-9474