[Jacob-list] Ewe/lamb bonding ... rejection or dejection

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Thu Mar 4 01:15:05 EST 2010

It is well to keep in mind the physical/sensual processes at work between
ewe and lamb. First identification is by scent followed almost immediately
by sound. Both scent and sound are unique in ewe and lamb. Scent and
sound are virtually the only ID mechanisms for about three days. It is only
by about the third day that visual identification is being imprinted. You
may observe that the ewe, wishing to be suckled to reduce pressure, calls
the lamb, the lamb responds, and the sound sets into play a sighting which
sets off the approach for suckling which is immediately preceded by the scent
check or a baa and scent check. Yes, sometimes the lamb calls but in my
observations, it seems to be a stress (I'm lost, where is mother?) call.

The second born twin, often smaller (but not always), probably spends more
time in the birth canal and might be stressed at birth, competing with a
lamb that has already fixed scent and sound and searching for colostrum. The
ewe can't be in two places at one time so the first in line gets the
attention ... the second born will get attention in good time ... give the ewe
all the time you can to give it attention before you intervene ...
exceptions include heavy birth sac over the nose. We may read rejection into a
situation that is ewe dejection; if the airway is clear and it won't freeze,
the lamb has a couple of hours. Watch.

We have 26 lambs on the ground from 18 ewes and 31 ewes to go; 19 yearling
and aged ewes plus twelve 2009 ewe lambs.

Fred Horak

In a message dated 3/3/2010 11:26:00 A.M. Central Standard Time,