[Jacob-list] "lilac carriers"

Brenda brenda at brenalanfarm.com
Wed Jun 16 00:22:24 EDT 2010

Hi, all-

I see sheep advertised from time to time as lilac carriers. Can we know if a non-lilac sheep is a carrier before seeing lilac offspring? If both parents are lilacs, would a non-lilac lamb have to be a carrier? I am thinking of simple genetics where I'd expect some would be non-lilac and not carriers, some non-lilac but carriers, and some lilacs if both parents were lilac. If only one parent was a lilac I would expect a significant percentage of non-lilacs to NOT be carriers. But nothing is simple with Jacob genetics, is it?

Brenda