[Jacob-list] ?Scrapie????

BISCHOW at aol.com BISCHOW at aol.com
Wed Jul 21 19:04:55 EDT 2010

Last Oct I had a Cotswold ewe go down. We did all we and my vet could
think of, but after about a week in our "guest" bathroom,we realized she needed
to be put down. No one consulted Mother Nature. She presented us with a
real winter storm. I couldn't get 1) to my vet to have her pts and 2) to
CSU in Ft Collins to have her posted and checked for Scrapie. So I called
USDA vets. Great, except the one that covers our area was way out in
Eastern Colo. God bless her, she said if she couldn't get someone out of
Lakewood, SHE would be at my house by 1PM. Luckily she did get a Lakewood vet to
come. He was fantastic. He euthanized the ewe, then we argued about
where to do the post. I ruled out the front porch: too d... cold, windy and
still snowing and the kennel: I didn't want to have to clean the mess up
down there. He finally gave in and we posted her on the dining room floor on
papers & a tarp. What an awesome teacher he was. Visiting we discovered
Dale and I, as well as our vets, were all at CSU at the same time. He gave
Dale & me a great anatomy refresher course. The samples were checked for
scrapie, along with rabies and several other things. All were neg. Many
people would probably have killed her or let her die and never report it. I
couldn't do that with a clear conscience. Cost: 1 tarp and a little floor
cleanup. A small price to be able to sleep at night.

Louise
you tell a horse.
you ask a donkey.
and you negotiate with a mule.