[Jacob-list] Chronic Diarrhea in Ram

Bill & Jeannette Joosse wjjoosse at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 13:34:03 EDT 2010

My 1 1/2 yr old ram has had chronic diarrhea since February. Several times,
I have almost gotten it back to a firm stool, but not pellets.
This is what I have tried so far.

Vet fecal sample (Feb) - treated with Corid for over a month. This cleared
up the coccidia. Plus I gave him ProBios twice a day. Stool firmed up but
started going back to diarrhea after a 1 week, even though I was still
giving him the ProBios.
Vet fecal sample (Mar) - showed "Rhabditiform Larva 1 Seen" - he was given a
double dose of Panacur. Plus I continue to give him ProBios.
Still diarrhea.
Vet recommended an anti-diarrhea medicine Imodium. I did this for a week
along with ProBios. Had no effect on diarrhea. Later I read a U of Md
website that stated never give an anti-diarrhea medicine to sheep as it
interferes with the rumen's function.
Since I have gone thru several bottles of Pepto- Bismol.
Two treatments of Ivermectin
One treatment of Valzaben.
I tried these holistic medicines from Fir Meadow: GI Soother, Fresh Start
and DWormMLL. No luck.
The apple cider vinegar (1:1) with water as a drench didn't seem to have
much help.
I thought the problem might be a wet pasture, but that is now dry.
I supplement with Central OR orchard grass and grass hay, so he would
definitely have access to dry feed.

I have worked diligently with my ram as he is very good nature and a
beautiful 4-horn.
His appetite is good and he appears in excellent health this whole time.

I hate the thought of having him butchered, but cleaning up diarrhea
everyday is getting old.
And now with fly season, I have to tie him to a post and wash his backside
every couple days (not a pleasant task for him or me) and use screw worm
spray.

I would greatly appreciate input into any other treatments that I have not
tried.

Thank you.
Jeannette