[Jacob-list] llamas as guardians

Lorraine Nielsen fourwinds at gotsky.com
Sat Jul 10 19:16:24 EDT 2010

We've had a guardian llama (older female) for four years. We hear the
coyotes, but have never had them very close. We've seen a bear take a look
at our llama--her alarm call sounding and her head swaying up and down--
turn around and take off. She sounds her alarm whenever there is something
nearby she's not comfortable with, even when the neighbors had some other
sheep in to graze their property! She's shown that she would attack dogs
that come too near (had to rescue the neighbor's dog). We don't have the
challenge of stray packs of dogs, but I know others do. I don't know how
effective our llama would be if a mountain lion came, which we know are
around here but haven't seen any traces of yet, but we're quite satisfied
with our girl. She eats the same as the sheep, which is a savings, and she
knew what her job was without any training. She bonds with the lambs
immediately. I should add that we do lock up our ewes in a shed at night.
Our llama sleeps, faithfully, right by the shed.

Lorraine

Lorraine Nielsen
Shear Bliss, Four Winds Farm
www.fourwindswool.com