[Jacob-list] To tail the truth

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Sat Jul 10 18:52:08 EDT 2010

Phylogenetically the Jacob's medium tail seems a logical compromise between
the primiitive Mouflon roots (3,000BC) and its modern ancestors
(1600-1800AD) Ryder 1983, Noble 1913, Elwes 1913. Werner (1988) suggests the Jacoobs
relatives from Scotland and Western Britain have a similar mouflonoid
medium tail and horns. Ewart in describing polycerates and mouflon influence
focused on horn and skeletal features including the caudal vertebrae of
Soay's with 13 vertebrae.

Genetically, tail length seems to be ahighly heritable trait and the
"average" of the parents tail length Scobie and OConnell. Tail length
(vertebrae, skin and fiber) is controlled by a number of genes and each element
contributes to its "apparent" length. The genes that control the nuimber of
caudal vertebrae are controlled by a set of genes that regulates cell life,
growth, structure and death ... call them Hox genes. In a sense, Hox genes
send messages to make caudal vertebrae at certain places and then says ...
that's enough of those. Genes also control the length of the caudal
vertebrae ... at the other end you have 7 cervical vertebrae; so does a giraffe.
There are genes that control fat vs. thin etc.

A sheep can have 3 - 24 caudal vertebrae and these are rather breed
specific: Moufloon 11, Finn Landrace 24, Cheviot 24, Orkney and Shetland 13 ....
based on Xrays of Jacob's tails, they have 16 including the 2 at the
pelvis. X-ray of the vertebrae is preferred to palpating the vertebrae ... it's
accurate and the length of the vertebrae can be measured.

As some of the old breeders know, there is a wry end to this tale. A
congenital defect, wry tail, has been reported several times in Jacobs; dead
tail (a tail that does not move) is also a defect.

Fred Horak
St. Jude's Farm
1165 E. Lucas Rd.
Lucas, TX 75002

In a message dated 7/9/2010 8:07:15 P.M. Central Daylight Time,