[Jacob-list] To keep or not to keep - my little Jacob sheep

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Fri Jul 9 17:59:15 EDT 2010

You've gotten some great replies and I agree with what everyone has said.

Hardiness, is of course, a primary consideration. If you can't raise
them or have to baby them along to get them to survive, all the pretty
spots in the world aren't going to be worth it. But, I've had plenty of
hardy sheep that I didn't care for, so I prefer hardy sheep that are
also pretty. Sounds like all three of your ewe lambs carry the same
genetics.

As long as the tail /*is *//*close*/ to hock length, I don't know that I
would consider that a reason for culling. I didn't dock for a few years
and I do like to see tail length, pre-docking, on sheep I buy. But I
don't think an inch below would be a decision maker for me - all else
being equal.

Keep sheep that you love - within the breed standard if you are hoping
to build a registered flock.

Linda

--
Patchwork Farm Jacob Sheep <http://www.patchworkfibers.com>