[Jacob-list] Yarn Pricing

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Wed Jan 20 19:03:40 EST 2010

I haven't had any of my wool millspun, but have worked with yarn that
was millspun. I always wash my handspun. Jacob blooms beautifully after
washing. The millspun I've worked with needed a wash (in my opinion).
There are spinning oils used when millspinning and (again, in my
opinion), the oils can make the yarn look "slick" and not quite natural.
The only exception I make in washing yarn is if I'm using it on a
circular sock machine.

I price my yarns by the yard - it takes alot longer to spin lace weight
than bulky, but I do include a weight. If you want to sell your yarn, it
is probably worth getting an inexpensive scale. Buyers usually like to
have yardage and weight.

Prices are all across the board. Check out what yarn is selling for in
your local yarn shop. Yarn shops in my area take 30% to 40%.

Linda

--
Patchwork Farm Jacob Sheep <http://www.patchworkfibers.com>