[Jacob-list] crossbreeding

Dan Carpenter Hobsickle at aol.com
Tue Jan 5 17:43:17 EST 2010

Several sets of genes control color in sheep-including Jacobs. Jacobs carry
the so-called dominant black gene which is (as the name implies) dominant.
Therefore, all-or at least the vast majority-of Jacob crosses will be black
(at least in the first generation). The white aspect of Jacobs comes from a
spotting gene which is recessive. Therefore, all Jacob crosses will be
solid in the first generation UNLESS the other parent happens to carry the
recessive spotted gene (which being recessive may not show up on said
parent.

-Dan