[Jacob-list] Crossbreeding

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Tue Jan 5 09:13:44 EST 2010

Buhnne Tramulatola wound up with a Jacob Flock in the late 70s or early 80s.
She had intended to have just a few sheep of each of many breeds and she
offered to buy a breeding pair of Jacobs, was told that she could have the
whole #$%& flock for less. Thinking that she would get an interesting bunch
of spotted lambskins for a coat, she bred the Jacob ram to everything. What
she got was a bunch of black, crossbred type fleeces.

Crossing to Merino, you should get a black fleece that has white streaks in
it that may or may not grey to a mottled coloration. In texture, the fleece
should be Corriedale-like but more open. The hogget fleece will be
wonderful.

Some of the most beautiful fleeces I have seen were Jacob X Corriedale X
Cotswold X Finn.

Neal Grose