[Jacob-list] hanging in there in snowpocalypse?

Susan Donoghue walkabout at pemtel.net
Thu Feb 11 17:19:55 EST 2010

On Feb 11, 2010, at 2:39 PM, Ralene Mitschler wrote:

> Hi all

> Just checking to see if all folks in heavy two-punch snowstorm area

> are hanging in there?

I'm south of the latest two blizzards, in the mountains of southwest
Virginia, and we've had only (!) 8-24" for each of four snow storms,
plus several ice storms. We've set records for snow amounts and
length of frigid temperatures and, in general, it has been brutal
since the first large storm of December 18th. I've been worried
about my ewes' conditioning through all the bad weather, but they
started lambing this week and so far moms and babies are all vigorous
and healthy. One single ewe-lamb, one set of ram twins, and one set
of ewe twins so far.

I've had to stay flexible and creative with the flock regarding
housing, feeding, and husbandry. So far, so good. The ewes are
mostly in the barn, and outside for several hours each afternoon.
The hay that I thought would last until summer might last through
April, so I'll be buying more when I can find it. Unintended
expenses also for snow removal, extra grain, more water hoses, and
eventually extra labor for manure removal from the barn and shelters.

Actually looking forward to mud season this year.
Susan Donoghue
Walkabout Farm