[Jacob-list] Tree-killing sheep

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Sat Feb 6 07:31:46 EST 2010

What a great idea to have the sheep strip stakes for the garden.
When we had the donkeys, the donkeys would get a bark peel started and
the sheep would come running to help. My sheep seem to attack the trees
mostly in the fall. Not sure if that is a nutritional need on their part
or something to do with the sap. They like some trees better than
others(they love maples) and will eat those regardless of what minerals
they have.

If you have a heavily wooded area, the easiest way that I've found, is
to wrap wire around a group of trees, rather than just one tree. I put
pieces of scrap lumber where the wire touches the trees. Otherwise,
they sheep were hitting the trees with their horns trying to get the
bark started. I had one get a horn caught in the chicken wire, so put in
the boards.

The sheep ate alot of trees at the other farm, but don't like the trees
here as much.

Linda

--
Patchwork Farm Jacob Sheep <http://www.patchworkfibers.com>