[Jacob-list] Shearing

Black Sheep westergladstone at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 2 05:03:15 EST 2010

I went on a shearing course - I have never sweated so much in a weekend before or since - then invested (£300 at the time) in a Lister Laser hand-held electric clipper. It's very effective and less clumsy than the big professional setup. Since then (last 10 years) I have hand shorn our sheep using a set of simple hand shears by Burgon and Ball (£15).
I use the same pattern shearing technique I used with electric clippers when I hand shear. I like the fact it is quiet and I can shear out in the field. I just do 5 a day now that I am old and decrepit. If you want more detail on hand shearing, let me know.
Gordon in snowy Scotland.