[Jacob-list] G444R mutation (Tay-Sachs) in Jacob sheep

Lasell J. Bartlett lasell at lasell.org
Thu Dec 30 07:34:06 EST 2010

On Dec 30, 2010, at 5:55 AM, Linda wrote:

> Will these 55 carriers be bred together to produce tay-sachs sheep

> for research?

That is my understanding having gone through the process of having
our sheep tested.

I had to face the possibility of donating any carriers to their
research program as I proceeded with the testing. I'm glad I did it,
and glad to know our sheep do not carry the Tay-Sachs, though on some
level sorry that none of ours are carriers so I cannot help the
research efforts.

I was particularly drawn to participate in the testing after learning
that carriers had already been found in the Lasseau bred Jacobs,
which is our foundation.

Lasell J Bartlett
Fine Fettle Farm
New Hampshire