[Jacob-list] National sheep month ???

Jaci Siehl sugarpinejacobs at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 30 15:21:14 EDT 2010

Has anyone ever heard of a national recognition of sheep, fiber animals, or anything like that?

I had an idea one night (obviously a sleepless night) - Please let me know your thoughts on this idea - good, dumb, too hard to do, etc.

Instead of fiber animal farms being included in a garden tour, or a wine tour, or misc farm tours - what about doing Fiber Farm Tour?

I've helped a couple friends promoting their alpaca farms in local farm tours, but the visitors were more interested in tasting olive oil, wine, and cheese than learning about fiber animals resulting in very few sales or prospects.

If there was something like a NATIONAL SHEEP APPRECIATION MONTH or something like that we could tie into a larger support group and get the tours to coincide with some other promotion.  We could have support from other fiber animal organizations (angora rabbits, alpacas, etc).  I thought this might be promoted through schools, yarn shops, etc.

I understand that if we were to untake such a venture, it would have to be organized by small areas or districts - but it would be nice to have a national push for it and some sort of combined effort.

I'd like to hear your opinions and suggestions (if you have ever done something like this before).  You can post to the Jacob List or to me privately.

Jaci Siehl
Sugarpine Jacobs
530-538-9474