[Jacob-list] Help with new baby lamb

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 28 00:55:05 EDT 2010

>I had a baby Jacob lamb born Tuesday morning. This is my first and of

course it isn't a simple one to start out with. Anyways, he can't stand up
on his front legs on his >own. For some reason they will not bend much past
90 degrees. He is sucking from his mother with help.
========
Well, here's my guess (I am not a vet). I have heard of this before. Good
news is that it is treatable. I think it is called Joint Ill, also known
as neonatal polyarthritis. It is a bacterial infection that enters through
the navel at birth or from docking or castrating wounds. Treatment is
injections of antibiotic such as LA-200 (oxytetracycline) (I can get it at
the local feed store). Give 0.5cc/10 lbs under the skin (NOT muscular
injections) at 3 day intervals for 3 treatments. Read more about it online
or talk to your veterinarian. The vet can show you how to give
subcutaneous injections of antibiotics. There might be some additional
minor treatments that you can get from your vet or online.

One way to prevent this from happening is to have clean bedding and good
hygiene. Be sure to always dip the newborn's navel area in iodine solution
or whatever else is recommended, do this after birth or very soon after.
We use an iodine dip. Good idea to treat wounds from docking or castrating
to prevent bacterial infection.

There is some info online. There is a lot online. I found this:.
Sheep 201: Sheep diseases A-Z
http://www.sheep101.info/201/diseasesa-z.html - 121k - 19 hours ago -
similar pagesJoint ill occurs in lambs up to one month of age. Affected
lambs are often lame in several joints, usually limb joints, including
fetlocks, knees, ...
Joint Ill [Archive] -

Cathy
Moscow, Idaho