[Jacob-list] Jacob-list Digest, Vol 74, Issue 16

Heather Hettick hettick.1 at osu.edu
Thu Aug 19 09:17:38 EDT 2010

Hi Miranda,

Certainly, Jacobs can form attachments to people. Bottle lambs usually do
and sometimes others do for various reasons. Lavender is a bottle lamb, who
now fits well into our flock, but she still welcomes me when I walk the
pasture. She lets me touch her but isn't a big petting fan. I have a
couple Icelandic leader ewes who are big pets and like to be scratched and
fed treats. They weren't bottle lambs but their leader background makes
them a bit predisposed towards humans. Cotton, a Jacob yearling, will
occasionally come over and sniff me but otherwise isn't that tame. I think
a lot of them check in to see if you have something good to eat and then go
about their business. They trust me more than others who don't take care of
them too. My husband has a terrible time if the sheep get out as they won't
follow him.

My sheep like to browse too - if they get out of the pasture. They don't
have browse in their pasture, other than some overhanging trees, but we feed
them trimmings and weeds. I think it's the novelty of it plus the fact that
most of my bushes, small trees are fruit bearing - they get into the garden
too, so we try to avoid this happening.

Parasites can populate quickly especially in warm, damp weather. Jacobs are
generally pretty resistant to parasites and heat, although I like to keep an
eye on the lambs just in case. I have a small place and no good way to
rotate pastures so we are stuck dealing with parasites. My Icelandics are
not as parasite resistant as the Jacobs, although I love them for other
reasons, but they sure keep me hopping during a hot summer like we've been
having. Possibly, your merino is having similar problems. Also, I think
Safeguard is one of those wormers that is becoming less effective as the
worms develop resistance. You may want to worm again with something else.
I use Cydectin in bad cases. Prohibit is good too and a bit cheaper. If
she is anemic, you may want to give her molasses for a few days too. Your
Jacob's browsing is a good way to not pick up parasites off the ground too -
which may be part of why Jacobs has less trouble.

Heather Hettick
Moonstruck Farm
Creston, OH
www.moonstruckfarm.wordpress.com