[Jacob-list] Lone Star Tannery

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Mon Aug 16 21:15:55 EDT 2010

I also received a call from Bob a couple of weeks ago. I was interested
to hear that he says that the chemical for washable sheepskins is not
longer allowed to be imported to the US and posted on that to the list.
I talked to him again last week and he gave me the name of the chemical
(have to look it up, I wrote it down), and it's not chrome, which
Stern's and Waldun's use for 'water resistant' sheepskins.
I was a little disappointed to hear that my deposit was not part of the
transfer (Bob did not buy the business, he bought the physical plant),
but Bob certainly has gone out of his way to get in touch with people
that have hides there for processing. I was very pleasantly surprised to
be contacted. Like you, I have my doubts that my hide is still worth
being tanned. But, it was very refreshing to hear from a person that is
taking the time to contact the owners of the 300/400 hides he inherited.
He could just as easily ignored us. I'm sorry that he is not going to
continue with the sheepskin tanning. He sounds like a very honest and
ethical business person.

Linda

--
Patchwork Farm Jacob Sheep <http://www.patchworkfibers.com>