[Jacob-list] (no subject)

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Tue Apr 6 19:17:02 EDT 2010

Well, Dan, you've done more thinking about lilac genetics than anyone
else I know - what do you think :-)

There is a gene in rabbits (japanese gene) that allows different colors
to express. It's the gene for tricolor and harlequin rabbits (and I
guess it's the same for calico cats and brindle dogs?). In rabbits
(don't know about dogs and cats) it shows up only on agouti animals,
which probably wouldn't apply to your sheep. Is there a gene that would
allow dilute/non dilute to express on the same animal?

I'm not sure we have a firm definition of what is lilac or even what is
black. I've had a few sheep with brown wool - black facial and leg
markings. As far as I could determine they were not lilac carriers and I
considered them poor blacks, not lilacs. There was no color banding that
might indicate a mineral deficiency, but perhaps that was a factor.

I hope you'll follow through and let us know what you decide.

Linda.

--
Patchwork Farm Jacob Sheep <http://www.patchworkfibers.com>