[Jacob-list] Congenital Problems in Jacobs

ranchrat ranchrat at telusplanet.net
Thu Sep 24 16:22:05 EDT 2009

Heel low:

<Jacobflock at aol.com> Fred Horak wrote:

3. The "standardization" of the Jacob in North America can be laid to
the
small gene pool, often referred to as a genetic bottleneck and flock
structure (few rams). The study by the USDA-NGP (2/04) covered over
2,000 births
and indicated the rapidly increasing percent of inbred animals from
1983
to 1994 and a more positive trend of reduced inbreeding from 1995 to
2002.
The 1983-1994 period was a period that contributed greatly to "fixing"
the
Jacob=American traits but also marked a period of a relatively high
incidence of congenital problems in the breed.

I have a 2003 Jacob ewe from what I consider are VERY inbred lines and
she is stone cold deaf. Manages quite well in the flock, but is a
little "off" due to her condition. Needless to say, I've never allowed
her to have progeny.

Would you consider the deafness to be directly linked to her inbreeding?
I have no real background in how ovines inherit deafness, tho I do have
a lot of experience in the canine incident of deafness (BAER testing
generations and differing levels of decibles along with the proven
"white hair" incident of deafness).

What other congenital problems have been identified in the Jacob breed
regarding issues limiting genetic diversity (setting breed type by
inbreeding).

Doggone,

Tara