[Jacob-list] Jacob Owners - Alberta & Canada??

ranchrat ranchrat at telusplanet.net
Thu Sep 24 16:21:55 EDT 2009

A question posed to the list.how many Canadians are left possessing
Jacobs? Here in Alberta, I can list many who no longer have Jacobs, the
stats are very scary and I suppose I should go on the Canadian Livestock
Records registry database and see if any of these former owned Jacobs
are listed there under different ownership now. I have heard many
threaten to "get out of Jacobs" through some means such as making
pepperoni out of their flock unless a valid owner steps forward soon to
buy their Jacobs. No worries, ALL livestock is facing the same fate.not
picking on Jacobs solely by any means. Even on this List there has been
downsizing and flock sales..sigh!

In just the past few years, Alberta Jacob breeders gone now are: Lisa,
Leonard, Judy (too old I believe now), Tyler, Bonnie, Pamela (may have
taken some up North); there are probably more that even this I did not
become acquainted with.the Can Rare Breeds flock is gone, dispersed.I
believe there is only myself and Linda/Dan now left in Alberta and
that's unsettling. There are many livestock owners literally "dumping"
livestock at auctions all over the Prairies.if they had troubles with
producing their own feed, they sure would have it now trying to buy it.
We, fortunately, put by all our alfalfa in June and even purchased all
our livestock rations and grains at lower per bag prices than even last
year's. We're good for just over two years now.but even we are
concerned about future costs to keep on what we have. Not to do this
would be living under a rock. Hauling in the oat straw bedding this
weekend and there, same price as in year's past.we locked in beginning
of this spring with our order.

One or two Jacob sheepers don't a happy "flock" make!

Tara Lee Higgins - Rat Ranch, Alberta