[Jacob-list] importations

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Sun Sep 20 15:06:40 EDT 2009

Everything has a starting point. What we call purebred is a collection of animals of similar traits that have been isolated, inbred, and reselected for type. It might have been 50 years ago, or 150 years ago, or 1500 years ago. Other than Soay, which is not strictly a domestic breed, the only thing that would fit the later standard would be Merino and English Longwool. (Neither exists in a form that they had 1500 years ago).

You don't say wither the sheep you saw had mixed Jacob ancestry. I have seen plenty of 3/4 Jacob lambs. There is always something askew with these sheep: the fleece is too heavy, early greying, the bone is too round, the color pattern is funky, ...something. There is no Jacob gene. Jacob-ness comes from a combination of many genes and many traits. It is certainly possible that Jacob Crossbreds, bred back to each other might produce a lamb with a good degree of Jacob type, but there would be a significant amount of off-type character that would show up without careful reselection. That doesn't mean that I think that we should allow these animals into a registry...we have already done the hard work of multi-generation standardization for type for an animal that mostly agrees to what we mostly agree on. With lack of a sample of DNA from a representative group of sheep from 1880, that is the best we can do.

Neal Grose
North Carolina