[Jacob-list] importations

Hobsickle at aol.com Hobsickle at aol.com
Sun Sep 20 08:11:44 EDT 2009

I had an interesting experience 6 or 8 years ago. I took a couple of
Jacob sheep to a buyer who said they had a few sheep that had come with the
farm, but wanted to get into Jacobs. When I got there, low and behold they
already had a Jacob lamb...I thought. I mentioned it and they said "on no,
that's the offspring of one of our non-Jacobs that had been somewhat
inbred." Original mutation?...Recessive brought out by inbreeding?...I don't
know, but I do know that under the right circumstances something that looks
like a Jacob can be produced by non-Jacobs. My point?--references to
Jacob-like sheep may or may not refer to actual Jacobs. I'm NOT saying I think
someone is making that mistake, I'm just saying that there are other possible
answers to some of the very early "Jacob" reports. If only there were
original documentation...

-Dan

PS I wish I had documented this incident better, but I the time I was early
into my Jacob experience and didn't give it that much thought.