[Jacob-list] Catching Rams

ranchrat ranchrat at telusplanet.net
Thu Sep 17 14:16:52 EDT 2009

From: Linda <patchworkfibers at windstream.net>

I can live with that *smile* as it is ME and MY flock that determine if
I am a "good" shepherd.
Cheers,
Linda

ranchrat wrote:

> I do however have the right to state that part of being a good

> shepherd is handling your stock every day, otherwise, you are not

> going to find ME calling you a "good" shepherd. Just my long two

> cents worth...

> Doggone,

> Tara Lee Higgins -- still working on the "good badge" in Good Shepherd

> Rat Ranch, Alberta, Canada

Yes, that is exactly "it." What does it matter what my opinion is.

My years working in a Conservation Office showed me examples of what
happens to animals that are unable to cope with stress from only
occasional handling. Stress is a fight or flight response and we all
pretty much know that stress is a factor in many life limiting
situations. When we received calls from the public asking why a bear
was euthanized instead of relocated, several factors came into play. If
it was a male bear, the CO's would be more likely not to attempt
relocating the male as most territories were heavily populated with
excessive males already. Females were usually accepted without
negatives, so if it was a girl bear, relocation was a valid possibility.
If the animal was compromised health wise (large worm load, injured,
chased excessively before treeing, etc.) the stress of being sedated may
mean the animal died, if not right off, possibly later due to over
taxing their system. Repeat offenders, even tho it was the humans and
garbage storage that usually was the cause of the initial trouble, the
bear would not likely be relocated unless it was further away.

I am striving to emulate ancient tribesmen that live with their
flocks.not that I'll ever attain THAT goal. I like my "creature"
comforts FAR too much.like hot and cold running water, soft bed sans
sheep most times of the year, and MY house not being THEIR house.LOL

Tara