[Jacob-list] sensibility Part 2 of 3

ranchrat ranchrat at telusplanet.net
Thu Sep 17 14:14:34 EDT 2009

As I said, I never turn my back on livestock, male, female, or the
"its." I enter the pasture with stock stick in hand and am adept at
using it. VBG I don't prefer my animals sauntering up to me if there
is no metal corral panel between me and them. I will sit on a feeder
with my Jacob ewes and enjoy watching their interactions, but you won't
find me laying about in the ram corral like that. Business at hand,
check condition, move off, give room, watch the ones you are not
focusing on, they will be the ones to give you a good goose or a nice
bruise for your insolence. I work stock with my dogs and we've seen
rams/bulls act badly.

I have a head gate for tattooing, and when I was milking the dairy
goats. If I had to do something on the rams that required both hands
and I was not able to stand over them practically immobilizing them,
they just get to go for a walk down to the barn with the head gate.
When you do chores by yourself, you are methodical in how you conduct
yourself. I phone my spouse at a designated time each day.routines and
safety protocols. You are going to get nailed if you get complacent.
When you are off, or least expecting it, that's the day you'll get
tested. Animals are keen at picking up on your moods.little tired,
little distracted.maybe postpone trimming toes that day; the beasts will
thank you for it and maybe tomorrow it will go better.

Handling your Jacobs is not taming them past reducing stress on them
from lack of handling. Jacobs are kinda cool 'cause they are primitive,
not meant in my mind to be feral, but a domestic sheep. I need to be
able to lead every animal here, have control over them and know their
physical condition. I took one ram lamb in for surgery and the vet was
amazed at how unworried the animal was. Stood in the waiting room,
calm, content.no issues. Should have seen the face of their clients
dropping by to pay a bill or fetch their cat."that's a sheep there,
isn't it??" Far cry from how the Jacobs acted that I first acquired.
Hysterical comes to mind. The first ewe, the seller told me I had
better have over six foot fences for containment. No prob, our
perimeter is seven feet, triple fenced.no issue. The second group of
Jacobs, ewes again, the one now stands for me to halter her.when I
acquired her, she had not been sheared for two years because the owner
could not get near her. The last Jacob, she broke a horn during
transport because that owner had only ever touched the ewe to iodine the
navel and dock her tail. Didn't tattoo her and I festered over that
being my first real contact with her.nice situation. Took a lot of
patience, time, attempts to handle and then backing off to get my sheep
to where you can walk up and check them over but that is what I want.

Part 2 of 3 END