[Jacob-list] sensibility Part 1 of 3

ranchrat ranchrat at telusplanet.net
Thu Sep 17 14:13:48 EDT 2009

Hello Betty:

Yes, I completely agree that one has to be careful around their sheep
(the horns have a way of making them more intimidating), especially
intact males. I've also had intact llamas and until my one male was
over a year old and neutered (altered), I would not even cluck at him.
He was handled daily, but very methodical, non-choocy coo, I'd even
admit to giving him a firm slap on the hip to move off after inspection.
Berserk Male Syndrome happens in male llamas (my neighbours have one
such beast!), ones that where cuddled and cooed over, hugged and what
nots as crias and adolscents, those are the ones that when they reach
adult male maturity, suddenly turn on their doting human owners and come
lashing with hooves and wolf teeth! Yikes.

No worries Betty, my rams will stand on one side of the metal corals for
chin scratches, these boys are 2005 lambs. When I stand up, all move
back, not to charge but because of different body language.I am
intimidating, ask the new kids on my bus.but they soon learn I am ready
and able to reward good behaviour, punish any outbursts-zero tolerance
for bullies on my bus! LOL

How you approach animals; fair, consistent, firm.walk softly, but carry
a big stick. Submission, respect, acknowledgement to authority. It
lets societies, flocks, herds, packs run smoothly. You can see this
often in a pen of males, be them cattle or rams. The boys all
strategically position themselves to have non-challenging positions.
Most often that means they are not facing each other.that is a signal of
a threat for most. I watch eye movements, body stance prior to ever
entering close confines with animals. Even things like the position of
the sun. I've watched so many try to move livestock from dark confines
to bright sunshine and seen how the prey animals balk going from dark to
light or vice versa. I've even been amused at how sheep will leap over
shadows, their eyes are on the side of their heads, they do not have
good 3 D perception.how deep is that puddle, is that shadow a deep chasm
I will fall into.predators like us with our eyes forward, we have no
issues judging depth.

Part 1 of 3 END