[Jacob-list] Miniature Jacob sheep

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 13 23:23:50 EDT 2009

--Robin wrote:

>This is the 2nd time I've heard of someone looking a Miniature Jacobs this

weekend. All of you should know that JSBA (Jacob Sheep >Breeders
Association) breed standard states that adult ewes are 80-120 lbs and rams
are 120-180 lbs. A Jacob sheep is definitely smaller than a lot of the
breeds you'll see at any sheep show or fair, so someone might be
advertising them as Miniature, but if they're >within the standard then
they aren't anything different
=========
Thirteen years ago I bought my first Jacob sheep, I had never heard of them
before. A lady in a nearby town went to an auction in the midwest for
miniature animals. She came back with a mini donkey, pygmy goats and the
Jacob sheep. When I talked with her I assumed the sheep were the size of
pygmy goats, I expected very tiny, miniature sheep. I bought the sheep
from her and they all (2 ewes and a ram) grew into the weight range for
regular Jacobs, they weren't miniature at all, except, perhaps, in the eyes
of people familiar with the larger sheep breeds. In that case,
regular-sized Jacobs were called 'miniature'. I would call the Southdown
Baby Doll sheep miniatures, they are really small.

Cathy
Moscow, Idaho