[Jacob-list] Catching Rams

Mark Essen messen at socket.net
Tue Sep 8 18:12:02 EDT 2009

I was resisting my reply to this thread because I did not want it to
sound like I am bragging. But,A few years ago I splurged and bought a
really nice squeeze chute/sweep tub/scales system for my Highland
cattle. This system has been s useful for all of the animals so many
times that I think it was very cheap. Thee is not enough you can say
about making the animals have no choice but to think they want to do
what you want them to do. I have the setup between two lots so that I
often leave it open and they tend to think that when they are entering
one end, it leads out to the pasture. By the time that they realize
that I have the exit gate latched, it is too late. I am at the entrance
closing that gate also. The sweep gate is on a hinge, so it is no
problem to close the area very tight.
I also raise deer and elk and never tranquilize to transport It is just
so much easier to handle these animals if you try to make them do what
they want to do.
For what it s worth.
Mark