[Jacob-list] loupy

Betty Berlenbach lambfarm at sover.net
Mon Nov 23 09:00:18 EST 2009

Hi, Linda,

I was not criticizing halter training or showing; I do, however, think that I would not want a sheep who would not object when a total stranger (new owner) put a halter on it! My sheep (some of them) might well allow me to put a halter on them, though they do not cherish my LEADING them on a halter. I have done so on occasion when I have a young lamb, too heavy for me to pick up and carry 1000 feet from the back pasture to the front, for example. Then, I WILL put a halter on them, to which they don't object, until I start to pull it, at which point,they are most assuredly loupy and will lie down to object to such treatment. Consequently, I do it as little as possible. Adaptability is not the sign of a dumb sheep! THe sign of a dumb sheep (for me) is no objection to either halters being put on them, OR at being led about by one.

I have no problem with anyone showing sheep, so long as (and I have found this the case with ALL jacob breeders who show whom I have encountered) they raise their sheep to jacob standards and not to please judges who are totally unfamiliar with jacobs and want BIG, docile, glazed eyed, obedient to a fault, fat sheep. I had a breeder once bragging that her jacob ewe had an udder like a holstein, proud of it, and wanting to pass on that trait. I didn't buy any of her sheep!

Who was it, some store, which advertised, "An educated consumer is our best customer." ...I try to educate people who are interested in jacobs, and request strongly that they come to my farm and sit out in the field for at least an hour with these sheep before deciding for sure, after sitting with me and hearing about these cheeky, independent, smart, interesting, challenging, and delightful sheep...I've had lots of other breeds, and there is plainly NO comparison...