[Jacob-list] halter training

Katherine Williamson katherine1958 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 12:09:38 EST 2009

I have been asked to provide sheep for a live nativity. I've done this in
the past with a ram and a ewe (both on halters), but this year I think I'll
take lambs. I have about 3 weeks to halter break the lambs.

I've never been very confident in my halter breaking techniques, which seem
to involve a lot of jumping (the sheep), cursing (my husband), and fear
(me). I usually hold them to attach the halter, then tie them to a post and
let them pull and flail until they're worn out. Or my husband and kids will
pull and prod and attempt to walk them around the backyard. I'm so afraid
that someone is going to get hurt.

Would you share your halter breaking techniques with me?

Thanks!

Kathey