[Jacob-list] Scrapie

Cheryl Terrano paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Sun Nov 8 13:48:08 EST 2009

Hi Paul,

We test 10 rams every year for the codon 171 or scrapie resistance gene. This is something we have done at no cost to me since we are enrolled in the federal Voluntary Scrapie Flock Certification Program. I am not 100% sure if these are local WV funds used for testing or if those funds come in at the federal level but we can test any 10 males for free. Additional testing can be done at the time of inspection but the lab charges $22/head. We have opted to test those parents who throw a QR off-spring. Thus far, we have never had sheep test QQ and we elect to use only RR rams each fall.

Most recently, we just achieved Certified Status within the Program - an achievement in the making for a number of years now. I would recommend checking into various local sources, such as your County Extension Office, your State Dept. of Agriculture as well as consider enrolling in the USDA program. You can find online info from USDA, using the link to APHIS (Animal Plant Health Inspection Service), which is the agency that administers the program. We have been enrolled since April 2002 and only recently applied for and received our Certified Flock Status. There is work involved - paper trail mostly for sold, butchered or animals that may die. But we have gotten a few perks along the way too - mostly becoming aware of various programs and grants available locally for sheep & goat producers. We have an annual inspection from the USDA vet and we now have a WV Honor Flock Status, which allows us to ship sheep within the state of WV w/o a health certificate.

While I don't know all the details our newly reached Certified Status will bring, I must say it has been a very educational process and one I would certainly recommend to other shepherds. Good luck!

Cheryl in WV
http://paintedrockfarm.blogspot.com
http://www.paintedrockfarm.com

God longs to bring us to the place where we ache so much with His heart that to do nothing is simply no longer an option. (MATT REDMAN, The Unquenchable Worshipper)

We will live as strangers and pilgrims on this earth, with sacrifice, commitment, tears and fasting, and touch the lost world with our lifestyle and commitment. (KP YOHANNAN, Founder, GOSPEL FOR ASIA)

WHEN EVERYTHING THAT CAN BE SHAKEN IS SHAKEN, THE ANCHOR THAT HOLDS IS THE WISDOM OF THE CROSS. (Jason Upton, Key of David Ministries, from the CD 1200 ft below sea level).

If you want to see God's power at work, you must get out of the church and into the world. Watch the extravagant lengths which God will go to reveal Himself to people who don't know Him. Then you will learn how truly awesome our God is. (Author Unknown)