[Jacob-list] Primitive?

Laura C Frazier farmgirlarts at triad.rr.com
Wed Nov 4 10:28:37 EST 2009

Neal,
Thanks so much for the details concerning the rump and birthing, etc.
My father-in-law raises commercial Suffolk crosses and all that you
say about breeding for the broad rump, large hips is SO true! That's
exactly what he talks about in the breeding program. Add to that the
practice of docking up into the rump and you have a huge recipe for
anal and vaginal prolapse and birthing problems. He does this mostly
for his grandkids who compete in two market lamb shows a year. He's
very competitive with other breeders for those top honors. We sell
lamb too and so that is part of the breeding program. It's so hard to
believe that we humans actually breed in painful hardships just for
shows and cuts of meat, then add in bad practices like surgical
docking into the spine.

Love the "We all know it when we see it." ;-)

Laura C Frazier
FarmGirl Arts
(336) 971-3834
Kernersville, NC