[Jacob-list] Primitive?

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Wed Nov 4 06:42:50 EST 2009

I don't think color should figure in on this. Color is more a factor of blood- lines and chance.

We tend to think of primitive as being defined by smaller animals, but we need to be careful about that. Breeding for small-ness is just as bad as breeding for big-ness.

Resistance to parasitosis is often cited as primitive, and this is a very good attribute; but, Soay sheep, which are primitive by definition, have little resistance because they were not developed in an area that subjected them to large parasite loads.

I look at body style and conformation. The hallmark of domestic livestock improvement is the selection for extended loin area and larger hams. This is accomplished by breeding for a round, course bone and a less flexible broad ligament (the ligament that overlays the pelvis). Large hips increase the area that produce the more expensive cuts of meat, but also dramatically increase the incidence of birthing problems since this is the widest area that must pass through the birth canal.. This birth problem is multiplied by the less flexible broad ligament, which prevents the pelvis from separating during the passage of the fetus. Primitive sheep and cows have relatively narrow and sloping rumps, and flatter bone. Even the "improved" lines of Jacobs Sheep that are often criticized have relatively narrow rumps and strong front ends (think of them as linebackers with no necks narrow hips).

Mostly, we just think that we know it when we see it.

Neal Grose