[Jacob-list] symetrical horns

southwindfarms at frontiernet.net southwindfarms at frontiernet.net
Wed May 13 15:19:59 EDT 2009

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 05:26:17 -0400
From: "Neal and Louise Grose" <nlgrose at yadtel.net>
Subject: Re: [Jacob-list] 4 horn ewe skulls
Cc: <jacob-list at jacobsheep.com>

4 horn ewe skulls"Are there single horned cows? I want one :-)"

Now, ya just know I had to reply to that.
I think the only way to get a single horned animal without surgery is to have one that is horribly deformed. Two polls are a result of symmetrical division of the whole animal. The polycerate gene works on the poll position itself. I have even seen an instance where a Jacob crossed with a polled sheep produced a polled offspring, and that sheep went on to produce a 4 horned offspring (she also had a split eyelid).

I do not think that I have ever seen a 3 horn individual, they are two fused horns on one side and separate on the other. There is a separate gene mechanism for symmetry from one side to the other. Oddly, one of our best rams early rams for siring symmetrical horns was one that had fused horns on both sides and looked like a massive two horn.

Neal Grose