[Jacob-list] 4 horn ewe skulls

ranchrat ranchrat at telusplanet.net
Tue May 12 13:54:57 EDT 2009

Heel low Linda & Sheepers:

As far as I understand this, Jacobs are polycerate because they have a
gene the splits the horn core.just as a cow has horns, for example, the
only difference between having single horned cows and multi-horned cows
is this horn splitting gene. People have enough trouble having meat
with horns and you'll find a lot want polled cattle, no horns.meat with
horns is harder to deal with. LOL, that is until they realize their
pretty handy handles some times.or not!

I will go out on a limb and surmise that because rams have testosterone
and this amplifies the horn growth (and degrades fiber quicker than in
ewes.sigh!), you will note a more major split in the horns.but
basically, you have the same issue, a single horn that becomes
multi-horns.

I see no difference in the horns of your four horn ewe and your four
horn ram.both look the same to me, but in the ram, more amplified
because intact rams have bigger horns than the ewes. If he had been
altered, you would note horn growth really slows down, maybe to the same
rate as a ewe.that sounds like a FUN project to investigate.alter a full
sibling ram to a ewe and see if their horn growth is any different.har
har.keep feed and all other factors the same.have fun with that one.

Fused horns.it is hard to determine TRUE number of horns as in some
causes, I would probably lean towards a seam delegating the "potential"
to have caused more horns. I tend to count the fused horns separately,
so have "five horned" ewes that would in some person's opinions, be four
horns and in the case of one ewe, we have three separated horns on one
side (no questioning that side) and her other side, the top horn is
fused with another completely separate side horn, so some would say a
"five horn," but we refer to her as a SIX horn ewe. Fused horns are
frowned upon by some.hee hee.so maybe it is safer to count a fused as
one, but then you can fight with the fact that it could make a Jacob
have unbalanced horns.that too is a negative for some.

Hee hee.too many interpretations.makes nobody completely happy. Sure is
fun messing up your brain over tho. Thanks Linda, sure helps pass the
time cleaning out barns and gearing up for shearing.oh the tedious tasks
of spring and other whatnots.

Doggone,

Tara Lee Higgins ~ Rat Ranch - Alberta
Home of Melody; Canada's 1st Grand Champion Jacob Ewe - Lilac FOUR
horn.or FIVE horn?? Hee hee